Procedure for wing loading selection
STEP 1. Reference Aircraft
Wing loading affects drag through its effects on the wing span and wetted area, and it determines the design lift coefficient. Based on what we did on the technical report no. 6, we solved the wing loading of each reference aircraft by using the formula:
Wing Loading = W/S
W – Weight
S – Area of the reference wing
STEP 2. Procedure I made a reviewer to better understand the procedure of wing loading selection.
Reference formulas for step 2:
Since the wing loading affects stall speed, climb rate, takeoff, and landing distance, therefore, we can analyze each flight condition:
- Wing Loading for Stall
- Wing Loading For Take Off Condition
- Wing Loading Related To Oswald’s Efficiency Factor (e)
- Wing Loading At Cruising Conditions
II. Explain the design procedure.
Creating an aircraft design starts from planning to the final drawing. From what I learned, here is the summary of the design procedure.
- Mission Requirements – performance requirements during takeoff, landing, cruising, etc.
- Performance Specification – Use the limit load factor of each aircraft category as a reference for performance specifications. For example, for acrobatic aircraft, maneuverability is important. Can be determined by customer requirements, competition, and operating requirements.
- Initial Sizing Procedures – Sizing from a conceptual sketch.
- Technical Specifications
• Engine capabilities, powerplant survey, etc.
- Weight and Geometry
• Takeoff weight determination, empty weight estimation, etc.
- Compute for the weight and balance
• Create a diagram to balance or fix the equipment and structure.
- Compute aerodynamics and stability
• Check the placement of each structural part (wing reference to fuselage, landing
gear with reference to wing, etc.)
• Longitudinal, directional and lateral stability calculations
- Design Optimization
• Revised specifications and calculations with added information.
- Structural Analysis
• Aircraft loads
10.Detailed Design Drawing
• After the revisions, a final three-view from data can be obtained.